The Cabin

For the past two summers, I have been a camp counselor. I lived a total of 3 weeks each summer in a nice little cabin. A cabin consists of two separate smaller cabins, and each had their own bathroom equipped with three showers and two toilets. My favorite thing about the cabin is the smell. It isn’t a bad smell, but a very distinct one. There is always noise in the cabin. The talking and laughing never cease, and the faces change every week starting on Monday. On the last day, the hugs I always received were very bittersweet. I miss the little girls wrapping the small arms around my body and squeezing me tight.

On the first day of camp, the anticipation of the campers filled the air. They struggled pulling and dragging their immense luggage up the steep hill to their home for the week. All of the girls are between the height of 3-4ft and their eyes are glazed with excitement. They hesitate when they enter the cabin. The hardware floors and the sturdy wooden bunks make them nervous. They are a long way away from the comfort of their own twin-sized bed. The actual bed is smaller than a twin and it fits their small petite bodies perfectly. They drop their huge bags near bunk and all of them start making their beds and also making new friends.

The day starts out hectic. I’m laying in my bunk half awake, when I hear little foot steps, small giggles, and impatient voices. I smile. I knew these campers would be fine this week. I could tell they were excited, and that made me excited. You never know what kind of girls you will get every week, because every week is different. I get up and immediately start hurrying them up. I have only one hour to bathe, clothe, have them brush their teeth, and clean the whole cabin. I hear the showers going full speed and I can smell the soap in the bathroom. I hear suitcases being zipped open and close. Some girls are completely silent, while others are talking non-stop. I paused many times to brush hair and the braid hair. Always the same; pink-tails. I loved it, I was in my element. The morning went fine. The girls were fast and polite. The perfect cabin.

As the day progresses, we go back to the cabin after lunch for nap time and bible memory. As everyone gets in their bunk, I instruct them on how this hour will go. Junior campers need to be told everything. As all of them lay silently on the beds, I close my eyes and sigh. Getting peace and quiet, even if it was only for 30mins, is a rare gift in the world of being a Junior counselor.

The day finally ends back in the cabin. Some of the girls are exhausted, while other are still very energetic and hyper. After the night showers are finished, I get down on the floor for devotions. After the ten minute devotion is finished, their eyes are tired and the energy level has reached the lowest point. They crawl into their beds, and say their goodnights. I turn on the bathroom light for a night-light, and get into my own bed. In 10-15 minutes, all is quiet in the small wooden cabin. The only noise that is heard is the fan blowing in all directions throughout the cabin and the many creatures that live outside the cabin. I close my eyes for the second time that day and take a deep breath.

I loved days like those, and i miss living in a cabin.

God is Amazing.

2 comments:

  1. i love it anna! you are so creative darling! =]
    i got one too! haha you Sparked my c r e a t i v i t y!

    Love you
    SoulSista

  2. Good for people to know.